Thursday, May 31, 2012

Do I really want this?

Today I said goodbye to my students. That sounds odd because I've been on maternity leave since March. But today was the last day of school. I went in for the end of the year party, taking my girls with me. I told my students about the joy and pleasure it has been to teach them, work with them, nurture them, cheer for them at ball games...and then I told them I won't be teaching next year.

My students had mixed reactions.Some of them are genuinely disappointed. They like me and my teaching style. Some of them could care less who is at the front of the classroom. They might like me but would just rather not be in school. Others are happy to see me go. Our personalities clashed, and they still haven't learned the life lesson of deciding to get along with someone that you must work with.

I know I will miss them. I love my students. I enjoy my career. But I love my girls more. Even though our babysitter for the past 2 years was an amazing stay-at-home mom, I still hated leaving my little girl with somebody else all day, everyday. When we brought our second child home, I wondered how I would be able to do it again. I couldn't imagine leaving both of them to go back to the classroom.

So, I found some work I can do online from home. I packed up my teaching supplies. I said goodbye to my students and coworkers. And as of today, I am officially a stay-at-home mom.

Yes, I do really want this.

No comments: