Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How did it get this bad?

I realized a few weeks ago that I really needed to clean our apartment. I could try to blame the mess on the fact that we have a new baby. But it was a mess before she was born. I could try to blame the mess on the fact that I was pregnant, working full time, and had a toddler. But it was a mess before school started this year. I could try to blame that mess on working full time and having an infant. But I think you realize these are definitely excuses at this point. What I need to do is just clean the place and work to maintain that.

 I tried to set up a schedule for cleaning, but it wasn't working! I was able to accomplish it some days but not others. Overall, the situation was not improving. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then I realized that I was not using the system that has worked for me in the past. Traditionally, I start at one end of our home and work my way toward the other. I only do basic maintenance or necessary chores eveywhere else until I get there. After I clean each room, I go back and maintain it as I clean the others. I got behind on this as I tried to work full time. I will keep up with it this time.

This time around, I'm starting at the front door and working my way toward our bathroom (the other side of the apartment). It will probably take me longer than I would like since I do need to care for my two little ones, but that's okay. The important thing is restoring order.

No comments: